Do weight loss supplements work?
I’m sure that you know that being leaner and lighter will mean you can go faster but do you consistently struggle to get to your optimum racing weight?
If you’re serious about improving your race times, losing body fat and weight can be the best way to go faster, how are you planning to get rid of that surplus body fat ?
In today’s world we all want instant results so it might be tempting to go the ‘quick fix’ route.
There are so many different weight loss solutions out there which are supposed to give you quicker results or make it easier for you to lose weight.
They usually work via one or more of these mechanisms:
1. They reduce your appetite by making you feel more full so that you eat fewer calories.
2. They reduce absorption of nutrients like fat, meaning you take in fewer calories.
3. They Increase fat burning, so that you burn more calories.
Some of the more popular pills/supplements include:
- Raspberry Ketones: Unfortunately, there is no evidence that raspberry ketones cause weight loss in humans. They have only been used in rat studies which showed it worked in very high doses.
- Orllistat (Alli) This weight loss pill works by inhibiting the breakdown of fat in the gut, making you take in fewer calories from fat. his drug has many digestive side effects, including loose, oily stools, flatulence, frequent bowel movements that are hard to control, and others. It may also contribute to deficiency in fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Glucomannan absorbs water and becomes gel-like so that it “sits” in your gut makig you feel full to helping you eat fewer calories. Glucomannan is a fiber that can feed the friendly bacteria in the intestine. It can also lower blood sugar, blood cholesterol and triglycerides, and is very effective against constipation. Studies consistently show that the glucomannan, when combined with a healthy diet, can help people lose weight. It also leads to improvements in various health markers.
- Green tea extract is believed to increase the activity of norepinephrine, a hormone that helps you burn fat Green tea extract is generally well tolerated. It does contain some caffeine, and may cause symptoms in people who are caffeine sensitive. Green tea and green tea extract can increase fat burning slightly, and may help you lose belly fat.
- Caffeine is a well-known metabolism booster, and is often added to commercial weight loss supplements. Short-term studies have shown that caffeine can boost metabolism by 3-11%, and increase fat burning by up to 29% However, a tolerance to the effects may develop quickly.
Some of these supplements can help you lose weight but unfortunately none of them will result in the sustainable weight loss and support your energy and nutrient needs as an endurance athlete.
If you want to get leaner and lighter and stay that way but you’re not sure where to start, I would love to help. Get in touch email@example.com and let’s make your next race season your best ever.